For many vulnerable individuals, a smartphone can be a lifeline. From youth leaving foster care to low-income seniors, helping them stay in touch with loved ones, maintain vital support networks and build new lives supports these vulnerable community members.
Telus launched the Mobility for Good for Seniors program to provide free smartphones and subsidized rate plans to eligible seniors. Canadian seniors receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) are eligible to get a free refurbished smartphone, unlimited nationwide talk and text, and 3 GB of data for $25 per month. Participants must provide proof of receiving the GIS benefit, after which they will receive a unique code. This new program will ensure more seniors have access to the technology they need to manage their mental wellbeing, access healthcare resources and stay connected to loved ones.
This latest program joins the carrier’s other Telus Connecting for Good Services, as well its Internet for Good program offers high-speed broadband internet to qualified low-income families for $9.95 per month.
Telus’ Mobility for Good for youth program offers free smartphones and subsidized plans to youth transitioning out of foster care.
Eligibility for Youth:
- Lived experience in the child welfare system and can produce a letter of eligibility completed on your behalf by ministry/agency representative
- Between the age of majority in the province where you currently reside and age 26 at the time of your application
- Age 18 in AB, MB, ON, PEI, QC, SK
- Age 19 in BC, NB, NL, NW, NS, NU, YT
Eligibility for Seniors:
- Receive the GIS benefit
- Provide your Old Age Security statement, also known as the T4SA(OAS), indicating an amount paid to us in box 21 (net supplements paid)
If you or someone you know is in the mentioned categories, they may apply here: